A recent article on monster.com showed ten simple rules to follow while in an interview. They are simple to follow and can really mean the difference between a job and a bad first impression.
- Do your research - understand who and what the company is before stepping in their doors
- Look sharp - dress for the part, shows confidence if you look ready for the interview
- Be prepared - have extra resumes, paper to write on and questions to ask, shows you took the time
- Be on time- be there early, I shoot for 15 minutes early
- Show enthusiasm - want the job and show it!
- Listen - active listening can go a long way
- Answer what was asked - ask questions to make sure you understand the question
- Give examples - this is very important, without an example it is just an empty statement. (I met my money goal by doing xyz. This is how they helped.)
- Ask questions - this goes back to being prepared, show some initiative and want to learn
- Follow up - it is your last chance to market yourself. I like to send regular mail and make sure to mention something we talked about that was either off interview topic or a question that I may not have had an answer for. make it personal.
These rules will certainly give you more of a fighting chance to land that dream job or even the first job.